Monday, March 17, 2014

Mind Power Of Divergent

Mind Power Of Divergent


 

I have only recently found interest in reading science fiction books, and so far Divergent is my favorite.  Veronica Roth has definitely perfected the idea of catching her reader’s attention. The details are so planned out, making every action more intense. For example, when Tris was taking the aptitude test one of the simulations was her having to choose how to react towards a vicious dog.  The action itself made my heart race; but along with the descriptions of Tris’s feelings and the action happening around her, I could perfectly see what was going on, like a movie inside my mind.

My favorite chapter in Divergent is chapter twenty. Tris is getting her second fear simulation; she is in a tank that was slowly filling up with water. Before the simulation started, she was freaking out because the last simulation she was in stayed in her mind and was haunting her.  I like this chapter because it is when she really starts to understand her divergence. I think this was the perfect simulation to show the reader what a divergent is. The way that the simulation could be so obviously manipulated really helped us understand that she was one of the only people who could.  One of the quotes from the book that really led me through to understanding was, “We walk quickly down the hallway, and then I stop, pulling my arm back. He stares at me in silence. He won’t give me information without prompting. “what?” I demand, “You’re divergent,” he replies.“ The contents of this chapter are important because when Tris finds out she is divergent, they told her it was dangerous and never to tell anyone. Now, because Four knows, she has to learn how to contain it.

I think the setting of this story also was one of the more important aspects, along with the saying “Faction before blood.” Factions are the area in the city that a person belongs to. In Divergent there are five factions, Amity that believes in peace, Dauntless that believes in bravery, Abnegation that believes in selflessness, Candor believes in honesty and Erudite that believes in Knowledge.  I think the setting is affective because different factions have different beliefs. When it describes how the faction transfers are having a hard time adjusting to their new faction, it really shows how strong the beliefs are. It also helps me understand how different one faction is from the other.

Overall this book left me wanting more. The feelings that come with this book are so strong, some of the feelings I have never felt as strong as when I was reading this book.  So remember, if you are divergent, try to contain it.

1 comment: