Monday, March 31, 2014

Today's Book Chat Discussion : Wisconsin

International School of Beijing: wisconsin.
 

Welcome to our epad reading conference.   The purpose is to increase the depth of your in-class reading experience.  This is an effort to discuss, ask questions, make connections and gain perspective on your reading.  Participation is required, but the direction of the discussion is up to you.

 

Avoid Spoilers, please.  Also, at the conclusion of our discussion, this will be posted on the 778 Blog.

 

Please put your name what are you Reading?

Jared- Lone Survivor

<The Other Side of the Island> - Sung

 The monuments men

 The history of Art

Bono - The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel)

 Gabby-Saphire Blue

Louisa- Ruby Red

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Danny, The Champion Of The World -steph

Michelle, Witness by Karen Hesse

The Chronicles of Narnia (The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe)

Ranger's Apprentice: The siege of Macindaw- Raj


Get started – 10 minutes starts now!

 

Why did you choose this book?

I chose this book because I first got caught at the cover page (the design) and the title 'Witness' grabbed me as i saw the cover. Not only the designs, but the quotes(?) from famous people and the library gave me confidence that i should read this book. especially when you see inside, you could misunderstand it might be a poem but it was not. It was really interesting to see the character's name as the page's title and to be the 1rst person for a page.

I came across this book when I was skimming through a list of dystopian classics on a website. I opened the link and read the blurb, and after reading a quick passage of the author, I thought it was a great book and began reading it.

I chose this book because Mr Koch recommended that it was a great book, he also warned us that there was swearing in it. But it wasn't that bad. Anyway, I also had my interests in military books and war. The moment Mr Koch said the word "Kill" I was instantly turned on by it. One of my friends airdropped me the ibooks version of it a week ago and i started reading it from then.

I chose this book because i resently saw the movie trialer of this book, and i found the trailer very interesting. So then i desided to read to book before i watch the movie, that way i can compare the book to the movie.

I choose this book because my art teacher taught me most of the knowledge from reading this book, so she recommended me. I want to learn more about it so I started reading it.

I chose this book because I read Ruby Red which is the first book of the trilogy, and I really liked it. 

I chose this book because I read all the previous books in the series. This is the last one.

I chose this book because so many of my friends have read it, and they all said it was pretty good. Ruby Red was also a part of the Panda Award books. 

I chose this book because I have read the other book in the series

I chose this book because I liked the author and read a lot of his series.

I chose this book because I didn't know what to read during the break so I decided to read this book.

Describe your reading habits over break.

I started this book while school and continues over break. I read the first part of the book at school and continued while any free time i got during the day. I tried to read it before i go to sleep but i actually read it at the morning mostly. While eating breakfast and at lunch time.

I was set on another book my church leader asked me to read so i didn't really read much of it. I tried to find time before i sleep and between breakfast and lunch to read it. 

Over the break I was already a little into Ruby Red, and I finished it before I came back to Beijing. I started reading Saphire Blue today. I read everyday before I go to sleep.

During the break I read before bed and during the afternoons when I had nothing to do. Over the Spring Break, I finished a book called <The Red Pyramid> and started <The Other Side of the Island> a few days ago.

Before bed I read until I fell asleep, so I read daily during the break. 

I always read this book before I go to bed or when I don't have things to do.

I would read this book  after i finish my homeword but i just started 

Over the break I had just finished the first book in the series and now I'm starting the second book.

I read books when I had nothing to do and I also read in the plane.

I read books daily over break. I read at least one book everyday.

I have been reading this series for a long time, and this is the sixth book.

I like to ready books in the afternoon.

Choose a person/character in your book. Tell whether you would want her/him for a sibling, parent, friend, partner. 

I would surely choose Leonora Sutter for my friend or maybe a sibling. In the book I felt really sad for 'cause she was treated bad just because she was black (But at least there was Esther Hirsh for her friend). She had really good personality. If you look at every page of leonora, she doesn't hate or treat people bad just because they treated her bad. She had a very good and quiet life, not very much impact to the events that happened, but impacted the readers (for me it did) very much. She was mostly the main character (there are many characters). 

I would not want Honor (Main Chracter) to be my sister. Honor may be brave at times, however I dislike the fact that she is always curious about everthing, and never gives up on her opinions/point of view on certain things.

I would like Marcus, the main character of the book, to be my friend because he is a great leader and a guy with humor and seriousness. He has amazing skills during combat which made him twice as cool as he seems.

My book does not really include different characters, it includes comments on different art projects from artists.But I really liked the ways how artists make their works.

i just started this book and so far its just the narrator discribing the scene

I just started reading this book, and I'm only on page 11. Since there are the same characters from Ruby Red in Saphire Blue, I think I would choose Gideon to be my brother. I choose him, because he seems to be really protective, and he knows a lot. I think Gideon would be a good older sibling. 

There is a character called Charlotte in my book. I would not want her for a sibling, parent, friend nor partner because I think she would only keep her secrets and not tell me anything. I like imagining things just like Gwyneth, and I thinke everytime I imagine something or see something, Charlotte would never believe me. 

A character called Willy Wonka would be a good friend I guess but he is quite crazy sometimes.

I think Lucy will be a good friend because she never lies.

For a partner, I think a character called Tsagaglalal would be good. This is because, she is the only person that's unbiased. She is almost an outsider in the story.

For a partner and friend, I would choose Will Treaty, because he is skilled, intelligent, and like me: he likes archery.

For a friend I would choose Danny. He's very good at solving problems at different situations.

Identify the book’s intended audience. Explain why the book is geared to this particular type of person.

"witness" is meant for older readers maybe because it was quite a heavy book for me. I was about the klans that had big events happening that i couldn't quite understand. But the character's personality were all very interesting that didn't really reminded me of the heavy parts of the book. I was great for me!

I think this book is meant for people that are matured readers like a teenager or an adult because there are swear words in the book and you would need a basic knowledge of the military to get a clearer perspective of the story.

I think the intended audience for this book are people who wants to know more about art history development.

I think that the intended audience of Saphire Blue would be people who like science fiction or history, because this story is about time travel and has a lot of details from history in it. 

I think that the intented audience for this book would be students who have a big imagination and think time travel is cool, because the main character Gwyneth has a big imagination and a lot of the story is about time travel. 

This book is fantasy based on the middle ages. It doesn't have much magic in it, except for mind control. I think the audience would be people who like books like the lord of the rings.

The book is humorous and mostly for younger kids.

What is the reading level of this book for you?

I think the book was a bit heavy to me. There were some parts that i couldn't understand how the author wrote, but I liked it. The level is mabye for older readers.

This book might be alittle hard for me, but I can still keep up with the story, Vocabulary isn't that great but when they start talking about military stuff, I don't exactly understand.

I consider <The Other Side of the Island> a suitable book for me to read. The content is not hard to understand and I do not find a lot of the vocabularies challenging, however I sometimes struggle with identifying certain meanings of each event.

This book is a little under my level, so it's easy. It doesn't really have hard vocabulary, but not vocabulary I have to really think about either. Also, this book doesn't really have hard things that I have to figure out. But, I like reading books like this because I can really enjoy it. 

This book is slightly easy for me. The book dosen't really have any vocabulary that I don't already know. But all the books I like don't have challenging vocabulary. Still, the plot is challenging so it makes up for the vocab.

Ths book is slihtly hard fo me, it has some vocabulary used a lot in america that i dont know like red neck or blue collar 

This book is a bit hard for me, it has really written like or formal languages which I need to find definitions for it. 

I think this book is a bit easy for me, because I get all of the words, and the text so far does not have puzzles or pieces I have to figure out. 

I think this book has the occasional difficult vocabulary, some complex concepts, and you might have to know a bit about the middle ages, but otherwise, it would be just for me.

This book doesn't have any hard words. It is easy to read.

How long do you think it will take you to complete the book?

I just completed the book so... but i think the new reader for this book may be about 1 and a half week or 2. The book is short but the contents were heavy so there might be parts you would reread over and over again :)

Considered that i have only been reading this book for alittle while,  have not gotten to the half way mark yet. I think i can finish this book within 2 weeks if i read i constantly everyday, which might not be the case for me. I will put in the effort to read at least half of the book before next monday. 

I'm about halfway through the book, I think I can finish the book around Thursday/Friday.

I think it would take me about a month since the book is pretty long.

I plan for this book to take about 2 weeks to finish. 

The book Ruby Red took me a week to finish, and this book is about the same length, so I think it will also take me a week to finish. 

This book is pretty a long book and since I just started it, I think I need one month.

At the latest, it should only take a couple of days.

At least a week or two.

About two weeks

Choose one other person in this chat and tell them why they should read this book.

I don't really think younger reader might like to read it... I don't really like books that are too famous(? not famous but like...) I like to read these kind of books that not too many people read about it that only i like to know about it. So maybe mr. koch? I have some parts i don't understand even though i reread it so if he reads it, i would ask him for some understandings.

I woul ask Sung to read the book because this book is meant to be for boys and Raj has already read the book. The only other boy is sung.

I believe that people that is interested in the environment, dystopian societies, or enjoye reading <The Giver> should definitely read the book. I personally think Raj would enjoy reading the book. 

Anyone that likes stories based on true storys would probrobly like this book.

I think Catherine should try this book because she is a very good artist, so she has a good imagination just like the main character. 

I think anyone who is in this chat would love this book. This book is good for all audiences, and Louisa is already reading Ruby Red. 

I think only people who think they would like to know about more knowledge on art.

Anyone who likes to read fantasy fiction would like it.

I think Jared would like this book because it has intense/gory violence scenes.

People who likes reading fantasy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment