Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Creative Writing (The Button)

 

The Button


By Michael Hua


 

I looked down the hole. The looming ground 90 feet below stared back at me. “Uhh.” I groaned, “Do we have to do this?”

“YES!” screamed Johnny, our supervisor. Then calmly he said, “It is a right of passage for the end of space camp. Then he walked toward me and said, “Now class as you know we are in a zero-gravity chamber. There is no gravity so you wont fall.” At the last word he grabbed me and threw me down the drop.

“AHHHH!” I screamed, and kept screaming. Instead of falling to my death, I was just floating, after a while I just stopped suspended in midair. My classmates were looking down at me just only two feet up. I stopped screaming. Suddenly the lights below me flickered. Johnny announced, “Down there is a button. The first one to push the button gets a free Robo X 5000 Helicopter. Everyone gasped, the Robo X 5000 was only a childs dream. It was a helicopter that could film, glow in the dark, and had the ability to literally go to space.

Everyone then leaped into the hole. “RAAH!” Everyone was yelling left and right. I grabbed the wall and pushed off of it.  Even with my head start I was still behind. I kept repeating the process until about 10 minutes later things started getting interesting.

“Creek.” A panel shook and opened. Suddenly a giant horde of dodge balls came out of it.  An announcement happened. This is now a dodge ball game.  Anyone who is hit with a dodge ball will be sent back up to restart. Luckily in zero-gravity you can’t really throw balls and it is really easy to dodge them. I grabbed two balls and put one in the back of my shirt. I heard two dings. I guessed that two people had to restart.  I looked forward and saw 3 people ahead of me.  I threw both of my balls at the person closest to me. Both missed their target. “Arg.” I muttered. The person turned around and threw their ball at me. I had a crazy idea. “Please don’t get me out.” I said to myself. Then without moving I caught the ball. I closed my eyes. “Ding!” I opened my eyes again.

“Whoooh!” I yelled. Then I looked forward and saw someone cross the yellow line 10 feet away from the button. “Whoosh” red lasers started protruding out from the walls. Another announcement said, “Touch the lasers and you will be teleported back to restart.” Up ahead of me two people were battling in the laser zone. One threw a dodge ball, which missed, but the other person backed up into a laser. “Ding!”

The last person made it to the button. He was about to press the button when I said, “Stop!” He looked at me and said, “Who’s gonna stop me? You don't even have a dodge ball to stop me. “ I smiled and said, “Wrong.” I chucked the dodge ball hidden in my shirt at him. It sailed right past his head and hit the wall behind him. “Uh oh.” I thought. He aimed his dodge ball and I knew I only had one chance. I leaped toward the button and right before the dodge ball hit me I smashed the button with my thumb.

“Ding Ding Ding we have a winner! Congratulations to Bobby Cranks on winning the Robo X 5000!” Johhny handed me the helicopter. 19 jealous faces stared at the helicopter. I kept holding it waiting to show it off to my friends.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment