Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Unforgettable Summer of Lise's Family

The Unforgettable Summer of Lise’s Family

Sand Dollar Summer by Kimberly K. Jones

I was first looking for short and deep story, and this book caught me. When I saw this book, I got the feeling that this would be a sad story, but in some parts there were humorous dialogues from the characters, Lise, Free, and their mother. The first main character is Lise, a twelve-year-old girl, who tries to have positive thoughts. Her mother is strong and self-reliant, and she tries to comfort Lise whenever they moved houses by getting a better job. Also her precious brother, Free, at the age of five, has selective mutism, which made him unable to talk. But he could read since he was three, played piano since he was four. He also reads fifth-grade level books and plays chess better than most adults. He is not normal, but Lise and mother love him very much because he’s their family.

My favorite part was when there was a quarrel between Lise’s mother and the doctor. Lise’s mother argued that Free was capable to go to school but the doctor disagreed. Her brother’s mutism was a small hindrance, but because of the family’s love he was capable to attend school. But right after this matter, Lise’s mother fell apart by a car accident. As a result, her family moves to live in a rattletrap house in the beach of Maine. From the characters, Lise and I have most parts in common. She relies on her mother a lot, and I also do. She is not that chatty and doesn’t talk much to people that she doesn’t know or like. Also she often moved to different places because of her mother, and I also did too because of my parents. Lise and my personality and background have some parts in common. If I were the main character, Lise, I would have not only think but also act to be confident with this new place to live. For example, if she were scared from the new place she had to live, I would have tried to be more active in the place to get more self-reliant.

From this book, I picked up a new view towards my parents and siblings. I would try to understand the problems of the circumstance and not grizzle. From this family’s unforgettable summer, I would think about my family too, and love them as much like Lise’s family.

No comments:

Post a Comment