Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Today's Bookchat

International School of Beijing: 2/11/14
Welcome to our epad reading conference.   The purpose is to increase the depth of your in-class reading experience.  This is an effort to discuss, ask questions, make connections and gain perspective on your reading.  Participation is required, but the direction of the discussion is up to you.

 

Avoid Spoilers, please.  Also, at the conclusion of our discussion, this will be posted on the 778 Blog.

 

Please put your name what are you Reading?

Erica- <Allegiant>

 Sung- <Nothing But the Truth> by AVI

Andrew- <Allegiant>

Emerson - The Lost Hero

Curtis- <Eclipse>

Ray <Divergent>

Matthew <TimeRiders 2>

India < The mad girls song>

Henry <Mockingjay>

Ben  <Divergent>

Get started – 10 minutes starts now!

 

Why did you choose this book?

Erica- Because it is part of a trillogy that i have read the first two of, and i enjoyed them.

Sung- I chose to read the book mainly because the book received a Newbery Medal, and also because I enjoy reading books written by AVI.

Andrew- Because i heard that this book is fun to read.

Matthew-I chose this book because I read the frist book of this serie and i enjoyed it a lot so i started to read it.

India- I chose this story because it was a fac fiction on the hunger games, and I really like the hunger games.

Emerson - I finished the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series so I moved on to the next series.

because i finished the first 2 books and i wanted to know the end. catching fire was not a very great place to end the series. so i decided to read the thrid book.

Ray - I chose this book because a friend recommended it to me at first I didnt want to but since it was getting really popular i knew it must be a good one to read.

Ben- I chose this book because a friend recommended it and also I know that people think the book is interesting so I thought it would be good to read.

What does the cover of the book tell you about what you may find inside it?

Erica- The cover of the book is a city burning and a fire ball. so i think the book will be intense...

India- The cover isn't very spesific to the story, it is a wilting rose, but it dosent have to do with my story.

there was a mockingjay, so i thought it would be a team of katnesses friends and allies raiding the capitol, a symbol of justice.

Sung- After I read the cover of the book I thought that it might be a story about spies, since the book was titled "nothing but the TRUTH", and had illustrations of files.

Andrew - The cover seems to be a burning city and a airport/military place, so i think that in the book there might be a fire.

Emerson - There are two boys and a girl riding a huge metal dragon. These people are probably going to go on a quest and use the dragon as transportation.

Curtis-I watched the movie so I think the book might be interesting.

Ray - The cover of the book tells the status of the main character. the wourd is what she is.

Ben- The cover of the book kind of sets the story up and how it could go.

Find at least one song that the main character of your book would listen to.  Explain how the lyrics and music relate to the character.  Be as detailed as possible in your connection.

India- thae character in this story has gone mad. She dosent really know what is real or what the capitol has made for her. I think the song "my head is a jungle" would fit best because it represents whats happening to her.

Sung- One of the main character in my book is Ms.Narwin. Ms.Narwin is a very sweet, and smart teacher who is liked a lot by students. I think she would listen to 

<I Love you, You Love Me>- The Barney theme song, since she loves all her students, and her students also like her at the same time.

i think katness would red relate to one of the piano songs of maksim because it is very intense and i think the mood of the song matches the character in the book.

Erica- i think tobias would listen to back in black by ACDC.

Emerson - Leo might listen to songs by Imagine Dragons.

Andrew- i think that Caleb might listen to the periodic table song beacause he loves to learn.

Curtis- Bella might listen to one thousand years, because she is in love with Edward.

Matthew- I think Liam might listen to some modern song list 21 gun becasue these are the kind of some he didnt have in his time.

Ben- Beatrice or Tris may listen to any song that would get her pumped up because she is always tring to prove herself that she belongs where she is.

Ray - Beatrice would listen to any song because she has many different personalities that dont just fit into one category and that is sorta why her test for a faction came out indetermined.

What is the reading level of this book for you?

Sung- Just Right. 

Before I started reading the book I thought it would be challenging, since the book received a Newbery Medal Award. However, as I read on, I really enjoyed it, and it did not seem as hard as I thought.

Erica- Easy-ish.

Andrew- Medium

Curtis- Just right

Emerson - Just Right

Matthew- Medium

kind of easy

Ray - I would say that it is just right

Ben- In the middle

India: I would think it as hard.

How long do you think it will take you to complete the book

Sung- I just started, so I probably can finish the book in a week (at the latest)

Another 3 days-ish.

about 4-5 days

India: About half an hour.

Depends on how much I read, but i would say a week.

Andrew-2-4 days

Emerson - It depends on how much I read. I read a lot during the break and not as much during school.

Matthew- Im not sure since im starting to read this other book 

Ray - probably 2 weeks, because i dont read a lot on my free time and this book is pretty long

Ben- I think it would take about 2-3 weeks depending how much you read.

Has anything like this ever happened to you?

India: nope

Erica- I dont think so

No way, im not going into a war with somone else, there is no need.

Sung- In the book, the main character reads and analyzes on a book called <The Call of the Wild> by Jack London. Nothing like this story has ever happened to me, however I have read <The Call of the Wild>, so I could connect with how the main character thought of the book.

Curtis- Certainly not, because it's not real.

Andrew-Nope

Emerson - Nope

Ray - No. And i probably dont want it to.

Matthew- No

Ben- No 

No comments:

Post a Comment