Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Tale of Two Rulers

The Introduction:


What happens when the Ancient West meets the Ancient East? What happens when the King of Macedonia meets the Emperor of China? What happens when Alexander the Great meets Xiǎn the Patriotic? The two nations would be ultimate adversaries. Alexander is a conqueror who is hungry for world domination. Xiǎn is an emperor who wants to unite his country. Both leaders want to strengthen their nation. Would there be a massive battle? Definitely.

The Omens:


The Xian Emperor - May, 335 BC


Every night I stayed up late and agonized about finding ways to unite the Provinces of China. The sun has vanished and the moon was almost directly overhead. I should look through the historical records for past attempts to unite China. I might be able to learn from any previous failures. However, my eyes were too fatigued to read the historical records myself. I will get an advisor to read. Suddenly, there was a knock on my room door.

“Come in,” I said sternly, attempting to conceal my exhaustion. My superstitious fortune-teller franticly burst in.

“Horrifying news!” My fortune-teller exclaimed, “I just envisioned an entire army coming from the west! They have conquered cities that we have never even heard of! They have excellent, strategic battle plans, they speak in a foreign language and their armor seemed very efficient and effective! The Himalayan Mountains will be their entrance to China!” For a moment, I was speechless. My mouth was open, my eyes were bulging, but I did not regard this as bad news. I ordered rice paper, ink, and a brush to write to the leaders of the divided states. I believe I just found the answer to uniting China.

Alexander the Great - October, 331 BC


There was nothing here. The troops were exhausted and our food supply was scarce. Maybe we should return home. During our search for new civilizations to conquer, I have been a bit too harsh on my soldiers. They should receive praise instead. Just before giving the orders to break camp, I heard a faint bronze bell, ringing. I asked my soldiers if they heard anything to reassure that the ringing was not my imagination. Many heard nothing, however, a few confirmed my suspicions. Quickly, I located the sound’s origin. The ringing came from the east. The ringing came from uncharted lands.

The Preparations:


The Xian Emperor - December, 331 BC


“Finally!” I said aloud. I just received word from every single state leader. They are willing to fight together against this foreign enemy. “This is my big chance,” I told myself, “Do not ruin it”

The next week, I met with all the military leaders at the base of the Himalayan Mountains. Each leader presented their best battle plan, given the terrain and our soldier supply. Many arguments bounced back and forth, but at least there was no violence.  We eventually created a master plan.

 

Alexander the Great - February, 330 BC


“King Alexander,” One of generals started. “The troops are freezing! Icicles are forming on their chins, some soldiers’ limbs are suffering from gangrene and some have even died!”

“We will let the soldiers rest by a fire more often.” I answered. I will not let my army be defeated before the actual battle. This weather will not stop me from searching. Somewhere out there was an unconquered civilization. I will not return home until this civilization is mine.

The First Contact: March, 330 BC


While Alexander the Great was looking for another civilization to conquer, the Xian Emperor was desperately waiting for a Westerner to show up with his army. The other leaders started to suspect treachery. “It has already been four months since the first meeting!” Si Jin, the arrogant leader of Wey challenged. “Many soldiers have died from hypothermia. The remaining soldiers are struggling to stay warm!” The other leaders angrily accused and surrounded the Xian Emperor. They were ready to kill him on the spot.

The leaders shoved the Xian Emperor against the mountainside. The poor emperor crumpled to the floor and tried to defend himself. Hui Wen, the murderous leader of Qin stabbed the emperor in the calf. As the Xian Emperor cried in anguish, an arrow struck through Hui Wen’s rib cage, pierced his left lung and finished in his heart.

The Battle: March, 330 BC


Alexander congratulated his archers for starting the war. The Chinese soldiers finally spotted the hidden Greek infantry and charged. The Greek archers on higher grounds immediately shot down the front row of the Chinese infantry. The remaining Chinese infantry clashed with the Greeks, resulting in a bloodbath. Alexander’s troops were greatly out numbered, but they were efficient and effective using the Phalanx battle formation. Like a spiked war elephant, the Macedonian Phalanxes cut through the groups of Chinese infantry and crushed anything in their path. However, the Chinese archers launched storms of steelhead arrows on many phalanxes, which perforated the formation.

Chinese Calvary stampeded into the Phalanxes, only to smash into the extended pikes at the front. The pure, white, fresh fallen snow was stained with the deep, rich color of blood. Hundreds of motionless bodies lay on the battlefield. One by one, the Chinese leaders, except for the Xian emperor, charged into battle. When Alexander saw the crowned leaders charging in on horses, he wanted the pleasure of killing them himself. He commanded his horse to stampede at them.

Si Jin was the first to reach Alexander. The arrogant leader took a swing at Alexander with his iron sword. Alexander dodged Si Jin’s attack, and impaled him in the back. Two other leaders charged at Alexander from opposite sides. The King of Macedonia chose his next kill wisely. The leader storming at him from the right was covered in snow. His hands were shivering. Alexander lunged at him, knocking the sword out of his hands. The commander of the Greek army turned around and skewered the helpless Chinese leader through the chest. Seeing their fellow leaders’ cold, dead bodies, the remaining leaders retreated back up the mountain. Alexander the Great charged after them.

Even though the war was over, the clashing of swords, thudding of shields and terrorizing battle cries still echoed throughout the Himalayas. Alexander the Great climbed to the mountain where the Xian Emperor, killed by his own people, had drowned in his own blood. The Great Macedonian King announced to his army below. “Today, we attain victory!”

No comments:

Post a Comment