Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Island Dream

I hear the strums of the newly made purple guitar, the notes not perfectly in tune. The soothing melody being slowly played.  But every now and then, there is a stop, a pause, a perfect silence where you can hear the trees swaying and the waves gushing. My toes are planted in the sand, as I slowly move my feet back and forth, squishing grains in between my toes. My hair flies around in perfect wave movements, occasionally getting in my face.

I take a sip from my fancy glass, filled with a delicious mocktail. The coconut and the pineapple swirl around in my mouth, leaving an extraordinary feeling. I want more, but I must savor it.

It’s hard to think I am leaving tomorrow, so I focus on tonight. I see the birds flying in various patterns, the dancers walking up the beach. There will be a fire show as soon as the sun sets.

The perfect shades of pink, red, orange and yellow blend together right before my eyes. It looks like a painting; you can only see the outlines of the palm trees in front of the sun. The colors reflect on the rippling water. The water is empty, all of the fishermen have gone home, and the water sports have stopped for the night. Across the water I start to see the city lights coming from the other side of the island.

Many minutes pass, as I just stare, stare into the light. You can only see some pink and blue now, but it is still just as beautiful as ever. The fire show will start soon. The dancers and the musicians all come out onto the sandstone stage, holding what can only be torches. They come in all different sizes, some long and skinny, others in the shape of hoops. One man out front starts a fire towards the back. It looks like the sunset all over again. Taking turns, each dancer lights the ends of their piece on fire, making the stage blaze. At once, they all start flipping and turning their rods. I can’t keep my eyes off the fire dancing around their bodies. Tricks and tricks go by, but I don’t even remember blinking, I wouldn't want to miss anything. This is the island dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment