Wednesday, January 8, 2014

1st Semester Reflection and Observations - Responses


What grade do you feel you earned in this class for the first semester?



































100%
200%
327%
41452%
51141%



How many books did you read during the first semester? Include all books - directed reading, independent reading, personal reading choices, in school, outside of school, etc.




























































100%
200%
3311%
427%
5415%
6415%
7311%
8311%
914%
10726%



Do you use Goodreads?




















yes1244%
no1556%



If you answered "no", what is the primary reason?


I couldn't sign up, it saids my email is used and when i tried to login it doen't work. There is no specific reason I haven't had a chance to join the class group and I don't know how to use the site. The reason for this no is mainly just because of technical issues. I do not use goodreads because I have never learned how to or what it does. I don't remember being introduced to goodreads in the first place. I don't have an account for Goodreads. I really do not know why I don't use goodreads i would like to start. I guess I just never got to it. I'm not interested in using Goodreads. I'd rather talk about a book than write about it on the internet. i did not want to. First I don't know how to use it, and I don't have an account i didn't really know about it, and the teacher said it was optional so i didn't strongly feel i needed good reads. I dont think i will use it very much. I do have an account but I feel comfortable writing on Word. I never got up to it. WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!!?!?!? i am not quite sure what it is. I tried to make an account, however it didn't work.

Take this chance to offer any comments, concerns, or questions. Is there anything else your instructor can do to make your experience in this class more meaningful?


No I think the process paper "process" can be more orderly, sometimes with all the resubmissions, computer problems, this process gets complicated. We get papers late and I think it would be useful if Mr. Koch and the students kept track of resubmissions and confirmed whether or not it got submitted. no, the class is really good I like having conferences with Mr.Koch about the process writing, it really helps me to improve my writing and my grade. I would like to shorten reading time to 15 minutes. I really liked the way you teached us. In the socratic seminars, for example, we were able to get a lot of opportunities to share what we know and learn from others. However, one thing that I hope our class can improve on, is to change the amount of homework. As students, we attend to a lot of after school activities and stuff like that. For me, every time I arrive back home, it is usually almost 8 o'clock. In wednesdays, it might be fine for us, but when it comes to those days that we are busy, homework has also become a type of stress. In ISB, we get homework for almost all of the activities we apply to. The amount of humanities homework itself would be fine, but when we combine all of them, it sometimes takes pretty long. I think we can learn more about history like last year. During this first semester, I actually felt the most satisfied out of all my school years with the way we completed assignments, did revisions and graded our papers. So I don't think there is anything that I would like to change or add to this class. Less talking parts in class please. I would like to make sure we read at the start of every class. I think the way our class is run right now is a nice way to get us engaged in learning. I dont think any major changes could be helpful to us I really like our 1st semester humanities classes. I really like how we did independent reading for the first 20 minutes of the classes. But I wish we can do more class book reading, not independent reading because sometimes when I read a book, there are parts that I don't understand. But if friends are reading together, I can ask them what they think about the part or can discuss about it. Also, we can do stuff like socratic seminar about the book, so we can go deeper on the book. Sometimes, I just feel like we should have more writing conference time as Mr.Koch mentioned in class. I think we should focus on the social studies part of humanities now, because it is already the second semester, and I feel that we have only taken baby steps so far. I think class is going great, and I wouldn't change anything.

Determine which aspect of the class benefits you most. Describe what this aspect is and why it is helpful.


I think when we did socratic seminar it was really helpful because it taught me to think at multiple angles. Humanities, Math. I think humanities benefits me a lot because in humanities class, the activities and the assessments we do helped me to be a balanced person. writing, talking, listening. Process paper helps us increase our writing skills which we will use many times through out our lives and developing this skill will help us communicate later on in life. In my opinion we should have more writing time and also, have this mini-lesson on different types of writing The writing process helps me the most. It forces me to organize my thoughts and follow a structure. It also forces me to try new types of writing. Mr. Koch makes learning fun. In the way he talks and what we do. It makes learning things much more interesting. when we do projects like greek things I am not really sure what benefits me, but maybe reading in classes, because i love reading and sometimes reading a book helps me with writing. I think the socratic seminar where really fun and interesting because everyone talks and gets to share their ideas. Able to edit you process writing is very helpful to me. It is because that we are able to learn when going through that process We were offered a lot of opportunities to improve, I think that is what mattered most for us. I think writing 6 different types of process writing benefit me the most because before 7th grade, I was really weak on writing essays. But going through the process, I revised my mistakes and learned the forms of different type of writings. In my opinion I believe the process papers benefits me the most. The papers help me improve my writing, and gives me a chance to look back at myself. when the teacher takes time to discus our questions and group work. The Process papers I think independent reading is very useful and got me more interested in reading. I think the process papers we the most helpful for me because my writing is not the best and i think doing one every week makes me a better writer. I think the process writing benefits me the most, because the feedback helps me grow in my writing. I have improved a lot since the beginning of the year, and would like to improve more as we head into the second semester. process writing because it practices my writing skills. I think writing process papers really help. I think it is helpful because we stick to a routine, we don't cram before deadlines and we aren't surprised with any of the assignments because we do it every week. Also, I think process writing is better than assigned writing or free writing because we have a choice about which genres we can write, but we have to try a variety of genres and cannot stick to just one, which is a very helpful rule. I think that the process writing benefits me the most because it helps me to improve my writing skills. When Mr Koch reads aloud. I like how we usually discuss and compare many things together in the class.I like how in this class, we discuss all the things we do like make new decisions in our class. That way all of us get a chance to speak our opinions so that the decision we make is made so that it satisfies everybody. The process writing, because I need to improve my writing, and the process papers are a good way to practice. I like how you can revise work with a teacher's comment/advise because comment teaches me what I need to work on. I also think having a class blog is a huge benefit because I get to look at other people's work. I think that the writing aspect is the best for me because i can help me imporve with general knowledge of how it should work. process papers, because it improves on my skills on writing better.

Look back on the process writing project from the first semester. Did it work for you?




















yes2696%
no14%



What about the process is the most helpful? What is the biggest hindrance? Explain why your final draft is/is not better as a result of the process.


it was helpful knowing what i repeatedly was doing a mistake on. my biggest hindrance was that i wrote too much and it was hard to revise all that. it is because it lets me think about it, gives me time to think about the possibilities. The flexibility in this process is my most helpful part. Mr.Koch accepts resubmissions therefore, encouraging us to put more effort and time into writting. My final drafts are usually very edited. Mostly, because my peer reviser is a good writer and can give strong opinions on my piece. Her advice is a very important part because it helps me see my work from another persons view. I think peer revision is a really helpful process, they can really help you pick out the mistakes you miss. I also think talking with Mr. Koch helps me a lot in the writing, because a lot of the times, i can't see the mistakes myself. The process was pretty good, because it allowed me to easily review my work, and get my writing a bit better. While writing and editing, I noticed that the biggest hindrance to my writing is word choice and the details. I change my writings and talk with Mr. Koch, so at last, I felt my writing improved a lot. My final draft is better than my first draft because it is revised by my peers. The part that was most helpful for me was the peer revision or the fact that we could turn in the paper as many times as we like to get a better grade. My final draft i think is better then my rough draft because i have other peoples opinion about my writing then just mine. i think the peer editing is the most helpful because they tell you what you can fix. All of my process papers got turned in as a A grade (except for my last process paper, I did not get it back). The peer and teacher's revisions were really helpful for me. Because to me, feedback from others and other perspectives help me the most. Well, when we work on the process papers, we get ideas from a lot of different people, and we are also allowed to use a lot of opportunities to fix the mistakes. In general, the process paper writings helped us a lot. The process of revision helps me the most, since you have another chance to look at your writing, and determine whether you should add or take out any specific things. That is also the reason my final draft is always better than my first draft. It really improves my writing the peer revision is very helpful, my final draft is better than the original because of the others input. The chance to revise it and pass the paper back and forth to edit and revise made the final draft better. I think my rough draft for process writing and final draft have quite big difference because of the peer revision. My peers would leave comment on my draft paper so that I can change my mistakes. I get quite a few grammar mistakes. So peer revision helped a lot for me to revise my grammar mistakes. The process is helpful like I said before because we do it every week and we are used to it. For me, the final draft is always better than the first, because our peers all have different opinions and points of view that allow us to step out of our box and think of our piece of writing in a different way. This is usually very constructive. The big hindrance of these process papers are just the techy bits like the submitting process, resubmitting and getting them back. We only have one teacher and it is hard to grade 40 papers at a time, so we understand, but this taking time delays us from resubmitting and getting feedback. I think it is helpful that we learn to write different types of writing but we should still have more freedom with what we write. I think the most helpful is the peer edit. My final draft is better after this because it lets me see mistakes i did not see before. The peer review is the most helpful because it helps me make my writing clearer and better organized. Getting started is hard for me because I sometimes have trouble focusing on one topic. I also sometimes have trouble using information and using my own words. My final draft is always better as a result of the process because I get feedback from other people and I can leave the writing for a while and come back to it later. I think we should have a double peer revision.

What changes might improve the process during the second semester?


Maybe having more genres for process writing would be nice. For example: - Procedural Writing - Persuasive Letter - Script As I said before, I don't wish for any specific changes in this class. I am really satisfied and I hope we have another great semester. This is only a suggestion, but maybe if we moved the deadline of the first draft to monday and submitted it to Mr. Koch on Wednesday, Mr. Koch would have more time to grade our papers and return them to us on the same weekend or the following week. One of the problems some of us faced while handing you the work electronically, were caused by technical errors. I think that in the future, we should all print out our copies and them in. Last year, we handed in our work like that, and in the end, there weren't a lot of problems. I am not sure, but i would like to read more, because i love reading and it also might help me with writing. nothing I think we could have a week of writing new process papers and a week of revising on the following week. It is good how it is. To me it is just talk lesser.. Others are great and i think the problem is on me, so I need to first get better on myself then i got the rights to talk about improvements needed. the skills of writing essays I don't think anything can be done to change this process. It is very well working, although I have realised that during peer revision students wonder off, forgetting the assignment and making no progress at all. I think that we should do more geography and history. I think at least three different people should review each paper and the reviewers should be different. In second semester, for process writing, I will try to make less mistakes on the rough draft and for class book reading, I will try to understand the book more deeper. it might get more interesting Meeting with the teacher. I do think that the process paper system should have a little more freedom to it. I think some people feel a little pressured when they only have one or two options left and are not good at writing any. I think that we should have a little more freedom in what we write. Everything is fine. I am not sure I like the process the way it is. i think it is good the way it is.



Number of daily responses



No comments:

Post a Comment