Friday, January 17, 2014

International School of Beijing: Divergent

International School of Beijing: divergent.


Welcome to our epad reading conference.   The purpose is to increase the depth of your in-class reading experience.  This is an effort to discuss, ask questions, make connections and gain perspective on your reading.  Participation is required, but the direction of the discussion is up to you.

 

Avoid Spoilers, please.  Also, at the conlcusion of our discussion, this will be posted on the 778 Blog.

 

Please put your name what are you Reading?

Paul - Divergent

Sunny

Gabby

Eileen

Catherine

Jewellee - Divergent

Raj - Divergent (almost done)

Lizzy-Divergent 

Jared-Divergent

Seth - Finished Diveregent 2 days ago

Andrew- Finished Divergent yesterday

Curtis- Divergent

Why did you choose this book?

I've heard that divergent is a dystopian society and it is similar to books like the Giver and The Hunger Games and I really enjoyed reading those two books. And also because a lot of my other friends have read the book (and are currently reading the sequels) has recommended it to me.

And also because there were lots and lots of copies in our classroom :)+1

I chose the book because i heard my friends talking about it in class. People would ask me if I have read it or not, and i felt embarassing that i didn't know the book, so at home I gave it a try.  My classmates told me that it was like a similar version of the Hunger Games so that also hooked me with the book. 

I chose to read this book because Mr.Koch and the class kept talking about it, so I decided to read it rather than listening to the class conversation about a book that I have no idea about. It also sounded interesting, I'm enjoying the book so far.

The book was not as interesting in the beggining, but I wanted to see the relation towards the hunger games and other books. I then started to enjoy it.

A lot of people who have read Divergent say that it is really good, so I started to read it. 

A lot of people in our class read it and they said it is a really good book.

While I was reading other books, people recommanded this book to me, especially Annie, she always asks me to read it.

I started because there were about 50 copies in the classroom and I felt bad asking my students to read it without reading it myself:)

I started reading it when all of my friends told me that it was a good book, and even Mr.Koch was reading it, so I gave it a try.

I started reading because a lot of people in my class was reading the book, and Mr. Koch mentioned about the "zombie kissing" part, so I think it must have been a good book.:)

My sister read this book a while ago and she said it was really good. I tried reading it a few years ago but i did not understand it do i stopped reading it now i am reading it again.

I chose this book because last year I had friends who were reading the book and kept blabbering on about how good the book was. I just thought that divergent sounded stupid. Then this year, the amount of people that read the book increased, i decided to give it a shot myself. So i read the first book and realized that it was actually very interesting. After I read finish the first book, i was determined to find the sequal. Matthew H gave me the ibook file and i read insurgent and allegiant. I took about a week to read it all. (Half way through allegiant)

I choose this book because I was told it had action and adventure

Get started - 10 minutes starts now!

 

·      I really don't understand the part where . . . 

·      I really like/dislike this idea because . . . 

 I really like the main idea of the book, because it shows how you can make your own decisions. I haven't read that far yet, but the idea of people choosing a different faction based on how their personality is, or which one they feel is right is very interesting. And I think Tris is very brave. I've only read to page 63, so I don't know much yet.

I really like how in this society, people are divided into 5 factions and the 5 factions values something. I only read the first 10 pages so I would really like to know what each factions value. 

keep going, I think you will really like the way it plays out

I am enjoying this book more than all the other dystopian books I've read (The Hunger Games, The Giver). I like the similar idea of how the people are divided into 5 factions and each faction have something special about them. I've read about 200 pages of the book and I love reading about the process of their training.yes, the training scenes will be a cool part of the movie I am sure.

I really like the parts where they have training and how they would fight each other. In the book there was a lot of courage where the characters had to make their own decisions. When the zombies came out of the book I thought it was a bit less intense because every book that i've read in Elementary school had to do with zombies and other species. I liked the way how the author included some parts where the characters would get in a relationship, and it made it a lot more romantic (: 

I really liked how it talked about the choosing ceremony works and the idea of making a decision for yourself, where you belong to the rest of your life.

I like the 5 factions with different values, because every person gets a chance to choose what they think would best suit them. I think the part where Tris's mother died was a good thing, because this convinced her to keep moving, and in her times of weakness, she would think back to this moment and then get the strength to keep moving on. She knew that her mother died to save her, and that she would not let her mother die in vain. 

I hate the part where Tris' mom dies, because Tris just figured out her mom was from Dautless and she didn't even get a chance to share her thoughts with her mom.

I LOVE the part when Tris found out four's real name in the fear lanscape, and also when Tris found herself in the top of the list for the initation.



·      This character reminds me of somebody I know because . . . 

 Tris reminds me of somebody I know because Tris was born into Abnegation, which is selfless and respectful, but she turned out to be a whole other person. The person I know is very responsible and has good manners, and her parents teach her to have good manners, but she is brave and likes to fool around. 

Beatrice's mom reminds me of the ballerina in the book Harrision Bergeron because in the first page of the book, it says "I think my mother could be beautiful, in a differnet world.Her body is thin benath the grey robe." In Harrision Bergeron, the ballerina had to hide her face with a mask because person who has a pretty face has to hide their face with a mask. 

The character Beatrice reminds me about a friend of mine when I read the part when she jumps down during the initiation. I can see that she is really brave, similar to my friend. She is confident, always think of others.

Tris reminds me of Katniss in "The Hunger Games", because those two books are both from the eyes of a teenage girl.

ZOMBIES ARE OSM! I hate the part where Tris's mum dies+1

I like the part where tris and tobias were divergent and were immune to the serum that controlled the dauntless. I hated it when tris gets beat up by peter.

These books are very similar, because they both have a teenage girl and the boy she loves, and they rally up some support to defeat the corrupted government. I think this book kind of lacks originality.

This book reminds me a lot of "The Hunger Games"  I like the idea of the factions but i also dislike it. 

·      This character reminds me of myself because . . . 

 None of the characters I have met really remind me of myself. I think if I were living in the Divergent world, I would have no idea which faction I wanted. A lot of the characters so far are brave and like to take risks. I am nothing like that. 

Most of the characters in this book are really brave and confident about themselves which I guess, reminds me of myself a little bit because I'm confident? 

Tris is different from everyone else. She is unique. She has confidence, bravery and selflessness. These qualities don't usually come together in this community. I feel like I am the divergent of our community.

I agree with Jared's point

·      I think this setting is important because . . . 

I would've liked the book better if there was a little less romance

The author does a good job of describing the hardships of Dauntless initiation

The end of the book leaves you wanting to read the next one because of the excitement that is created at the end of the book. The only reason I havent started the next one is because theres alot of romance

I think this setting is important because in the modern world, this would never have happened. Noone would have enough power to change the way the society works, and also a lot of people would disagree.

When I started the book, I didn't really understand which faction was for what type of people. But Hyojin told me to read page 33 on the Bonus Materials. Page 33 explains the different attributes of the factions. It really helped me understand, and it didn't really spoil the book.

The plot of the story reminds me of the different govts we talked about, even when it seems like the govt system is good and will stay for a long time, human ambition takes over, and the good govt is overtaken by anarchy

I don't really like the idea of living in different places depending on your personality because your personality can always change, but in Divergent, you have to live in the faction you chose for your whole life. You would have a limited life if your community was too limited.

I like how the whole community is seperated into 5 factions. The Amity is the underdog and The Dauntless are the obvious "overdogs".

No comments:

Post a Comment