Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Spartans of 7-7

1. Location in Greece

The city of Sparta was located on the banks of the Eurotas River in Laconia, in southeastern Peloponnese.

2. Motto

1.Death before Dishonor. 2.Either with it, or on it. 3.Go over, go under, go around, or go through; but never go back.

3. Symbols of the city-state

The Spartan symbol is an uppercase Lambda (Greek letter L), it looks like an upside down V.

4. Cultural Achievements of the polis

Develop a system of mutual defense treaties Women enjoyed elementary rights such as the right to property ownership and public education.

Guys i was reading the Greeks booklet and it says Athens started democracy. They say Spartans did the exact opposite.. o.0

5. Famous people from the polis

Leonidas I, is of course one of the most famous Spartans ever, the king that will be forever remembered for the battle of Thermopylae.

6. Patron god or goddess of the polis

Their main God/Goddess is Ares (God of war) and Artemis (Goddess of the hunt)

7. Historical highlights of the polis and in later times

Persian war 499-449 BC

Persian war occurred because the Greek cities in the Persian Empire revolted in the lonian revolt.

Result: Greeks' victory

Thermopylae battle: Greeks vs. Persians (Persian’s victory)

8. Other important information about your polis

Sparta developed a system that has dual kingship (meaning two kings ruled at once).

Script:

PPT: Slide one: March into the room all together

(Slide one)

act 1: King Leonidas and Spartans 1 & 2

*walk down the front of the classroom*

King Leonidas: Let's go to battle! We are here at the Eurotas River. The place where we, the proud Spartans started the mighty tribe.

(Everybody freeze)

Little Narrator-Sunny: Ancient Sparta was located on the banks of the Eurotas River in Laconia, in southeastern Peloponnese. The Thermopylae battle was fought between an alliance of Greek city-states, led by King Leonidas of Sparta, and the Persian Empire.

(Slide two)

Spartan 1: The Persians are coming! The Persians are coming! Hold out your sword and shield! *Purposely show Spartan symbol*

(everyone freeze)

Little Narrator-Gabby: *pointing at the symbol* This is the Spartan symbol, the Spartan symbol is an uppercase Lambda which is the Greek letter L, it looks like an upside down V.

(Slide three)

Spartan 2: To Thermopylae To Thermopylae!

King Leonidas: Yes, we can defend Thermopylae, this narrow gap between the mountains of central Greece and the sea. Always remember our motto soldiers! Go over, go under, go around, or go through; but never go back!!!!!!!

(Everybody freeze)

Little Narrator-Sunny: This is one of the Spartans' mottos, which they took very seriously: Go over, go under, go around, or go through; but never go back.

(Slide four)

*Spartan 1 scouts ahead and see if there are any persians.* 

*Spartan 1 sees Persian one and whistles to get King Leonidas attention, King Leonidas and Spartan 2 fights with the two Persians* 

While fighting:

Spartan 1 and 2: I will fight for my tribe no matter what happens!

*Fights and gets hurt*

King Leonidas: THIS IS SPARTA

Spartan 2 screams: DEATH BEFORE DISHONER! *Fights more and dies slowly*

(Everybody freeze)

Little Narrator-Gabby: This was another one of the Spartans' mottos. The Spartan mottos were intense and no Spartans ever took these jokingly: death before dishonor.

(Slide five)

When the Spartans are dead, King Leonidas is on the ground saying:

King Leonidas: We will return! Ares will defend my reveng~ *dies dramatically*

Little Narrator-Sunny: At this point, the battle of Thermopylae came to an end. The Greeks lost the war and King Leonidas died.

Scene.

____________________________________________________________________

Slide 6, 7, 8: Famous Spartans

act 2: Narrator, Artemis, Ares, & King Leonidas

Eileen: go to computer, flip slides

*Walk to middle of stage*

(Slide six)

Little Narrator-Louisa: These are some of the famous Spartans from the past.

 

King Leonidas

I, King Leonidas of course, is one of the most famous Spartans ever, I am the king that will forever be remembered for the leading the Greeks in the Thermopylae battle. Though we lost, I had power and leaded the Greeks responsibly.

(Slide seven)

Artemis

I, Artemis, am the goddess of chastity, the hunt, the moon, and the natural environment. It is one of the things I asked for from Zeus, many names, just in case I got sick of one. My mother is Leto and my father is Zeus. I am physically strong and able to defend myself. I am a defender and guardian of women in childbirth and of wildlife in general. I dislikes men, who I sometimes order torn apart if they see me bathing. I oppose the institution of marriage and the subsequent loss of freedom it entails for women. I do not have a spouse, I run with my maidens in the forests.

(Slide eight)

Ares

I, Ares, am the god of war. My parents are Zeus and Hera, and I have many siblings: Eris, Hebe, Eilthyia, and Hephaestus. I also had half-siblings: Aphrodite, Athena, Hermes, Artemis and Apollo (they're twins).

In ancient Sparta, I was viewed as a masculine soldier. My resilience, physical strength, and military intelligence were unrivaled. And also, human sacrifices were offered to me.

Scene.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I loved your skit! So, creative and yet as much informative. YOU GUYS ARE SO GOOD!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ur skit was really cool, loved ur presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how creative your skit was!

    ReplyDelete